Outlook and Adobe Reader

• Welcome to ITBible, we're your #1 resource for enterprise or homelab IT problems (or just a place to show off your stuff).

at54tl

TCC-OG
Mar 19, 2023
Greetings,

A user recently upgraded from Win10 to Win11 . However, when they try open PDF from an e-mail in Outlook for Office (application non-web based version). The program stalls and becomes unresponsive. I have re-install Office and checked for program updates for both Adobe Reader and Office Suite365. There are no adobe plugin outlook. Please advice Thank you

Greetings,

A user recently upgraded from Win10 to Win11 . However, when they try open PDF from an e-mail in Outlook for Office (application non-web based version). The program stalls and becomes unresponsive. I have re-install Office and checked for program updates for both Adobe Reader and Office Suite365. There are no adobe plugin outlook. Please advice Thank you
Out of curiosity can you open it after downloading it in acrobat? What are the specs of the machine?

What about downloading the file and opening it directly in Acrobat? Also do other users have the same problem on this machine... I feel like within the past year I saw this somewhere and it turned out to be something with the user's profile.

Downloading the file is the only workaround but sometimes it locks up (Outlook). Yesterday, I created a new user outlook profile for the user and we left it synching. We will see if that fixed it.

Downloading the file is the only workaround but sometimes it locks up (Outlook). Yesterday, I created a new user outlook profile for the user and we left it synching. We will see if that fixed it.
iirc it was a Windows profile issue, however I think you can delete the Adobe folder in %appdata% without needing to rebuild the whole profile.

Another thing that might be worth exploring is the Adobe plugins for Office. I've seen situations where the Acrobat plugin can cause instability in various Office applications. I would check into the plugins to see which are enabled and perhaps try toggling their state.

I tried checking for installed Adobe plugins installed and they were none. I deleted the the "Adobe" in APPDATA and re-installed the reader. After doing all of this, the still issue persists so I reloaded Win11 from scratch and everything works good. Thank you all for your feedback :)

Reactions: WizardTux